P O E T I C --- P A I N T I N G S


"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen" -- da Vinci

To write poetry, you must read and, read some more -- Me





Mar 4, 2008

La Vie C'est La Vie by Jessie Redmon Fauset


Jessie Redmon Fauset






On summer afternoons I sit
Quiescent by you in the park
And idly watch the sunbeams gild
And tint the as-trees' bark.

Or else I watch the squirrel frisk
And chaffer in the grassy lane;
And all the while mark you voice
Breaking with love and pain.

I know a woman who would give
Her chance of heaven to take my place;
To see the love-light in your eyes,
The love-glow on your face!

And there's a man whose lightest word
Can set my chilly blood afire;
Fulfillment of his least behest
Dines my life's desire.

But he will none of me, nor I
Of you. Nor you of her. 'Tis said
The world is full of jests like these. --
I wish that I were dead.






[Note: Most of the known renaissance writers were men: Langston Hughes, Claude McKay, Countee Cullen, Jean Eugene Toomer but, there were some wonderful renaissance women poets and Jessie Redmon Fauset was one of them. Read more about Jessie Redmon Fauset]


Technorati Tags: , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: