P O E T I C --- P A I N T I N G S


"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen" -- da Vinci

To write poetry, you must read and, read some more -- Me





Jan 7, 2008

You, Reader -- By Billy Collins


Billy Collins





I wonder how you are going to feel

when you find out

that I wrote this instead of you.


that it was I who got up early

to sit in the kitchen

and mention with a pen


the rain-soaked windows,

the ivy wallpaper,

and the goldfish circling in its bowl


Go ahead and turn aside,

bite your lip and tear out the page,

but, listen -- it was just a matter of time


before one of us happened

to notice the unlit candles

and the clock humming on the wall.


Plus, nothing happened that morning--

a song on the radio,

a car whistling along the road outside--


and I was only thinking

about the shakers of salt and pepper

that were standing side by side on a place mat.


I wondered if they had become friends

after all these years

or if they were still strangers to one another


like you and I

who manage to be known and unknown

to each other at the same time --


me at this table with a bowl of pears,

you leaning in a doorway somewhere

near some blue hydrangeas, reading this.



--What I love about Billy Collins' poems are that they always seem to be a dialog with us, his readers. I love the way his mind works. His poems always make me want to go get a cup of tea -- English TeaTime, then, sit a my computer and stare out the window to watch a poem form on a cloud passing by--




Technorati Tags: , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Jennifer Durfey said...

Your poem is outstanding. I believe that it captured every thought that I have sometimes when I think of my boyfriend. Completely outstanding. Thank you for sharing!