P O E T I C --- P A I N T I N G S


"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen" -- da Vinci

To write poetry, you must read and, read some more -- Me





Jan 24, 2009

I, Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes.


Black History Month is just around the corner so, I thought I'd start early.

I want to celebrate Black poets
from the Renaissance to Modern Day.
No better way than to start with --

LANGSTON HUGES





I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.



Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.



Besides

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed --



I, too, am America.


Read More poetry by Langston Hughes


From The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes, published by Knopf and Vintage Books.
Copyright 1994 by the Estate of Langston Hughes. All rights reserved.









Technorati Tags:

No comments: